Tuesday, January 20, 2009

San Blas...

So this past weekend we went to a real, actual paradise. I'm being so serious it's not even funny. San Blas is an archipelago of 365 islands off the Caribbean coast of Panama, and they are home to the Kuna Indians, extremely colorful natives that were driven out of Panama by the Spanish and fled to the islands around. Honestly, the Kuna got the better deal.

Most people fly to San Blas; it's about a 20 minute flight. But we had met a girl in El Valle who gave us the number of a friend who provides rides and packages (cheaper) to San Blas. So we called this friend, Plas, who is Kuna, and he generously hooked us up with transportation, "lodging", meals, etc for the 2 days and 1 night we spent there.

We drove there with 8 people in 1 car through ridiculous mud roads and mountains. We literally drove the car through a river, but the scenery was gorgeous. We finally arrived (to where I'm not sure) but we transfered ourselves and our limited luggage to a boat, and canoed to various islands to pick up other people and then eventually to the beautiful island we would call temporary home. I can't even explain how picturesque these islands are. During the day, Plas canoed us to different islands in the archipelago and we snorkled in the clear water. The food was great and they even did their best to provide for Peter and I, us vegetarians. It was just an incredible feeling to stand at the edge of the water and be able to see the entire island I was standing on. So beautiful. It was unreal, paradise, really. I'm sure I'm being annoying so I'll just show photos.








Kuna village
our island






enormous school of fish
conch shell
monica's macro



root


a sunken boat
how we got our food



Peter, I, and Plas!
the Kuna Yala's colorful molas
Peter's holding our message in a bottle that we sent off into the abyss

Sigh. Just...wonderful.


Only downside (because I must list it since I'm a downer): I'm now covered in sand flea bites :-(


BUT! It was unbelievably worth it. Beautiful place! Don't stay at a resort there, go camping!

No comments:

Post a Comment